Monday, October 13, 2008

The ordinance of the sacrament makes the sacrament meeting the most sacred and important meeting in the Church.--- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

How can we have the Spirit of the Lord to guide our choices and keep us on the path?
In modern revelation the Lord gave the answer in this commandment:
“And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;
“For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High”
By participating weekly and appropriately in the ordinance of the sacrament we qualify for the promise that we will “always have his Spirit to be with [us]”
I sense that some in the rising generation and even some adults have not yet come to understand the significance of this meeting and the importance of individual reverence and worship in it.
We are seated well before the meeting begins.
“During that quiet interval, prelude music is subdued. This is not a time for conversation or transmission of messages but a period of prayerful meditation as leaders and members prepare spiritually for the sacrament” “Each member of the Church bears responsibility for the spiritual enrichment that can come from a sacrament meeting”(Liahona, Aug. 2004, 13; Ensign, Aug. 2004, 27).--Elder Russell M. Nelson
President Smith adds: “We cannot retain the Spirit of the Lord if we do not consistently comply with this commandment” (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 2:341).
Our manner of dress indicates the degree to which we understand and honor the ordinance in which we will participate.
Sacrament meeting is not a time for reading books or magazines.
always remembering that this music is for worship, not for performance.
Amusement, laughter, light-mindedness, are all out of place in the sacrament meetings of the Latter-day Saints. We should assemble in the spirit of prayer, of meekness, with devotion in our hearts”
“And this shall ye always do to those who repent and are baptized in my name; and ye shall do it in remembrance of my blood, which I have shed for you, that ye may witness unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.
“And if ye shall always do these things blessed are ye, for ye are built upon my rock.
“But whoso among you shall do more or less than these are not built upon my rock, but are built upon a sandy foundation; and when the rain descends, and the floods come, and the winds blow, and beat upon them, they shall fall” 3 Nephi 18:11-13
This ordinance should always be performed with reverence and dignity.
All who officiate in this sacred ordinance stand on sacred ground.
The sacrament is administered only when authorized by the one holding the keys to this priesthood ordinance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever since I joined the Church 24 years ago, I have committed myself to always attend the Sacrament meeting and all the other Sunday meeting every week. I have missed a few mostly because of child births. I have seen some friends who have decided to do other "more important" activities on Sunday, and it did not take long before they fell away from the Gospel. I know I am not perfect at truly keep the Sabbath holy. I am trying. I hope my children will continue to keep the way they have been taught and shown. Having the Holy Ghost with me every moment of my life is important.

No comments: