One of the challenges of this mortal experience is to not allow the stresses and strains of life to get the better of us.
“The best is yet to be”
four basic needs of life, as well as the spiritual benefits of a simplified lifestyle.
The first requirement is food.
The Lord has commanded you to take good care of your body. To do this, observe the Word of Wisdom, found in D&C 89. Eat nutritious food, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep. When you do all these things, you remain free from harmful addictions and have control over your life.
Another basic necessity is our clothing
A simplified life that brings spiritual blessings requires the wearing of simple and modest clothing. I believe very casual dress is almost always followed by very casual manners. President N. Eldon Tanner once cautioned us with these words: “Modesty in dress is a quality of mind and heart, born of respect for oneself, one’s fellowmen, and the Creator of us all.
third requirement, that of shelter.
Our income should determine the kind of housing we can afford, not the neighbor’s big home across the street. One of the better ways to simplify our lives is to follow the counsel we have so often received to live within our income, stay out of debt, and save for a rainy day. We should practice and increase our habits of thrift, industry, economy, and frugality. Members of a well-managed family do not pay interest; they earn it.
Thoreau’s final necessity was fuel.
What is required to maintain a sufficient store of spiritual fuel? We must acquire knowledge of God’s eternal plan and our role in it, and then by living righteously, surrendering our will to the will of the Lord, we receive the promised blessings.
In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives. May we comply with the inspired counsel and direction the Lord has given us in the great plan of happiness. May we be worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost and follow the guidance of the Spirit as we navigate this mortal journey. May we prepare ourselves to accomplish the ultimate purpose of this mortal test—to return and live with our Heavenly Father.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always thought that it was funny to see the "Simplify" sign in the store that was crowded with tons of stuff they want you to buy. If I take the "Simplify" sign home, I will have to take down a lot things in my house. Anyway, I don't have the "Simplify" sign. I am trying to simplify my house and my life. I believe the counsel Elder Perry gave us can bring peace and true joy into our homes.
I am thankful for health, food, clothing and shelter we have. With all the ups and downs in the wall street, we still can have peace in our hearts and minds. I am happy to live the simple and peaceful life.
No comments:
Post a Comment